This is a new experience as I’ve never written a blog before, but I’m always up for a challenge! For those who may not be aware, I am delighted to announce that I have recently been appointed a Director of Bay Tree VA. My role means that I not only work with Jane on strategic development, but I also handle HR and manage any new Bay Tree VA (BTVA) joining the team. We have set up a system that works well for us:-
- Receive VA’s Curriculum Vitae
- Interview VA, preferably face to face but occasionally by Zoom/Blue Jeans/Skype
- Arrange an on-line psychometric assessment of VA
- Undertake an induction which includes setting the new BTVA up with access to:
- an e-mail account
- our time-keeping and file sharing systems
- the Bay Tree VA online company handbook with protocols, reference material and top tips.
- Arrange chemistry meetings between BTVA and a potential Clients.
Now that we have a team of 14 BTVAs and bookkeepers, we ensure a new BTVA has all the tools and support they need to quickly get up and running with their new clients.
It’s not all work though; I get to organise the company socials too. We recently met for cocktails and a meal in Bury St Edmunds – it was a great evening, sitting in the sun catching up with everyone.
I am currently organising our autumn training day. We have two each year and it is a perfect opportunity for us to share good practice which might include:
- Apps for events
- Which CRM system allows you the most flexibility
- Mobile apps for travel
- Safest file sharing methods
- GDPR updates
- On-line To Do list and project management software
- Best translation sites
- Filtering information to create on-line reports from the systems we use
As a group of individuals we all get on exceptionally well because we enjoy what we do and how we work. We have a lovely set of clients who work extremely hard and we endeavour to make life easier for them. We have all made a lifestyle decision not to work 9-5. It enables us to have more flexibility to spend more time with our families or have the time to write that book we have talked about for years.
I feel very lucky to say that I enjoy my time at work and Bay Tree has made that possible.